Patrick Baudisch chairs the Human Computer Interaction Lab at the Hasso Plattner Institute Potsdam and is particularly known for his innovations in personal fabrication and haptic feedback. His group focuses on interactive rooms, mobile devices operated using spatial gestures, and basic research aimed at understanding touch input. For his work he has been inducted into the ACM CHI Academy and has received numerous grants for research projects from the EU, the Hasso Plattner Foundation, as well as from industry partners such as Microsoft and Nokia. He was a visiting researcher at the University of Minnesota and is an Affiliate Professor at the University of Washington.
1. Baudisch, P. and S. Mueller. “Personal Fabrication.” Foundations and Trends® in Human-Com- puter Interaction 10, no. 3–4(2017): 165-293.
2. Lopes, P., You, S., Cheng, L., Marwecki, S. and P. Baudisch. “Providing Haptics to Walls and Other Heavy Objects in Virtual Reality by Means of Electrical Muscle Stimulation.” In CHI‘17 Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Denver, USA, 2017, 1471-1482. New York: ACM, 2017.
3. Kovacs, R., Seufert, A., Wall, L., Chen, H.-T., Meinel, F., Müller, W., You, S., Brehm, M., Strie- bel, J., Kommana, Y., Popiak, A., Bläsius, T. and P. Baudisch. “TrussFab: Fabricating Sturdy Large-Scale Structures on Desktop 3D Printers.” In Proceedings of CHI‘17, 2606-2616. New York: ACM, 2017.
4. Lopes, P., Jonell, P. and P. Baudisch. “Affordance++: allowing objects to communicate dynamicuse.” In Proceedings of CHI 2015, 2515-2524. New York: ACM, 2015.
5. Holz, C. and P. Baudisch. “Fiberio.” In Proceedings of UIST 2013, St. Andrews, UK 2013, 41-50. New York: ACM, 2013.
6. Mueller, S., Kruck, B. and P. Baudisch. “LaserOrigami: laser-cutting 3D objects.” In Proceedings of CHI 2013, Paris, 2013, 2585-2592. New York: ACM, 2013.
7. Bränzel, A., Holz, C., Hoffmann, D., Schmidt, D., Knaust, M., Lühne, P., Meusel, R., Richter, S. and P. Baudisch. “GravitySpace: Tracking Users and Their Poses in a Smart Room Using a 2D Pressure-Sensing Floor.” In Proceedings of CHI 2013, Paris, 2013, 725-734. New York: ACM, 2013..
8. Baudisch, P. and G. Chu. “Back-of-device Interaction allows creating very small touch devices.” In Proceedings of CHI 2009, Boston, 2009, 1923-1932. Boston: CHI, 2009.
9. Baudisch, P. and R. Rosenholtz. “Halo: A Technique for Visualizing Off-Screen Locations.” In Proceedings of CHI 2003, Fort Lauderdale, 2003, CHI Letters 5, no.1 (2003): 481-488.
10. Baudisch, P., Good, N., and P. Stewart. “Focus Plus Context Screens: Combining Display Tech- nology with Visualization Techniques.” In Proceedings of UIST ‘01, Orlando, 2001, CHI Letters 3, no.2 (2001): 31-40.