Universität der Künste Berlin
PI: Intervention and Participation in Space
PI: Spatial Design in the Digital Age
Monica Bonvicini is a Professor for Sculpture at the Universität der Kunste Berlin. As an internationally renowned artist, her work focuses on socio-political conditions and their effects on society as well as gender roles and power. She has produced work in a variety of media including sculpture, installation, video, photography and architecture. She studied at the Hochschule der Künste Berlin as well as at the California Institute of Arts. Bonvicini has been a guest lecturer at the Art Center of Design Pasadena and at the Royal Academy of Art in Copenhagen and was formally Professor for Space Studies and Sculpture at the Akademie der bildenden Künste in Vienna. Her work has been shown internationally in galleries and museums such as MOMA (New York), Hamburger Bahnhof (Berlin), Kunsthalle Wien (Vienna) and the Fundación Jumex Arte Contemporáneo (Mexico City). She has received the Golden Lion for the best Pavilion at the Biennale di Venezia, the Preis der Nationalgalerie für Junge Kunst, and the Roland Preis for art in public space in Bremen, Germany. Bonvicini has also been commissioned to produce a number of permanent sculptures including: RUN, in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in London, She lies, in front of the Oslo Opera House, and Stairway to Hell in the Istanbul Museum of Modern Art. In recognition of her achievements she was awarded the Commander of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic.
a) Solo Exhibitions
1. Bonvicini, M. Monica Bonvicini 3612,54 M3 VS 0,05 M3. Berlinische Galerie, Berlin, Germany, 2017/18.
2. Bonvicini, M. her hand around the room. BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art, Gateshead, UK, 2016.
3. Bonvicini, M. Sterlin Ruby. Kunsthalle Mainz, Germany, 2012.
4. Bonvicini, M. Desire Desiese Devise. Deichtorhallen, Sammlung Falckenberg, Hamburg, Germany, 2012
5. Bonvicini, M. BOTH ENDS. Kunsthalle Fridericianum, Kassel, Germany 2010
6. Bonvicini, M. untitled/Tom Burr. Kunstmuseum Basel, Museum für Gegenwartskunst, Basel, Switzerland 2009
7. Bonvicini, M. Focus: Monica Bonvicini–Light Me Black. Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, USA , 2009
8. Bonvicini, M. NEVER MISSING A LINE, Sculpture Center, Long Island, New York, USA 2007
9. Bonvicini, M. This Hammer Means Business. Cologne: Verlag der Buchhandlung Walther König, 2009.
10. Bonvicini, M. What Does Your Wife / Girlfriend Think of Your Rough And Dry Hands? Los Angeles: SITE Santa Fe Museum of Contemporary Art, 1999.