Universität der Künste Berlin
PI: Spatial Design in the Digital Age
Christoph Gengnagel is Professor for Design and Structural Engineering at the Universität der Künste Berlin. His research focuses on digital and physical prototyping in architecture and engineering, computational design and new material systems. Gengnagel studied construction engineering and architecture at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar and Technische Universität München. He holds a PhD from Technische Universität München and was formerly a structural engineer at DYWIDAG München, Barthel & Maus and a.ka. Ingenieure. He is also a consulting partner of the engineering firm Bollinger + Grohmann and has held academic positions at Technische Universität München and the Royal Academy of the Arts Copenhagen. Gengnagel has received numerous grants for research projects from the DFG (German Research Council), Einstein Foundation, The European Social Fund and Danish Council for Independent Research. He conceived and organized the internationally renown biennale Design Modeling Symposium (currently in its 9th year) and is also a coordinator of the Hybrid Plattform, a cross-university interdisciplinary program between the Universität der Künste Berlin and Technische Universität Berlin. For his contributions to the field of engineering, he received the prestigious Howard Medal, an award of the Institution of Civil Engineers. Gengnagel is a member of the Bavarian Chamber of Construction Engineers, the Association of German Architects (BDA), and the International Association for Shells and Spatial Structures (IASS).
1. De Rycke, K., Gengnagel, C., Burry J. et al., eds. Humanizing Digital Reality., Proceedings of the Design Modeling Symposium Paris 2017. Paris: Springer, 2017.
2. Gengnagel, C. and C. Quinn. “Large Deformations- On the Design of Strained Grid Shells.” In GAM 12: Structural Affairs- Opportunities and Perspectives for Cooperation in Planning, Design and Construction, 169–189. Basel: Birkhäuser, 2016.
3. Quinn G., Holden Deleuran, A., Piker, D., Tamke, M., Ramsgaard Thomsen, M. and C. Gengnagel. “Calibrated and Interactive Modelling of Form-Active Hybrid Structures.” In IASS Annual Symposium 2016 Spatial Structures in the 21st Century, 1-9. Tokyo: IASS, 2016.
4. Ramsgaard Thomsen M., Tamke, M., Gengnagel, C., et al., eds. Modelling Behaviour, Proceedings of the Design Modeling Symposium Copenhagen 2015. Berlin: Springer, 2015
5. Gengnagel, C. et al. “Natural-fibre-reinforced plastics in actively bent structures.” Proceedings of the ICE - Construction Materials 166, no. 6 (2013): 365-377.
6. Lienhard, J., Gengnagel, C. et al. “Active Bending, A Review on Structures where Bending is used as a Self-Formation Process.” International Journal of Space Structures 28, no. 3 (2013): 187-196.
7. Lafuente Hernández, E., Baverel, O. and C. Gengnagel. “On the Design and Construction of Elastic Gridshells with Irregular Meshes.” International Journal of Space Structures 28, no. 3 (2013): 161-174.
8. Kotelnikova-Weiler, N., C. Gengnagel, et al. “Materials for Actively-Bent Structures.” International Journal of Space Structures 28, no. 3 (2013): 229-240.
9. Alpermann H. and C. Gengnagel. “Membranversteifte Bogentragwerke.” In STAHLBAU 8/2009, 531–536. Berlin: Ernst & Sohn Verlag für Architektur und technische Wissenschaften GmbH & Co. KG, Berlin, 2009.
10. Elsheikh A. and C. Gengnagel. “Structural Assessment of Rapid Deployment Canopy Structure.” Advances in Structural Engineering 9, no. 2 (2006): 241-256.