Spatial drawing and architectural intervention
PI: Interactions and Interfaces for Shaping Space
PI: Spatial Design in the Digital Age
Monika Grzymala is a contemporary installation artist with major focus on spatial drawing and architectural interventions. After vocational training in stone carving she studied at the Academy of Arts in Karlsruhe, University of Arts in Kassel and in Hamburg (Germany). The artist works with a wide choice of materials like adhesive tape, handmade paper, found objects, scenography and digital media.
She participated in numerous art projects and exhibitions at The Drawing Center New York (USA), Chinati Foundation Marfa TX (USA), The Drawing Room London (UK), Tokyo Art Museum Tokyo (Japan), Museum of Modern Art New York (USA), 18th Biennale of Sydney (Australia), Hamburger Kunsthalle (Germany), Dian Woodner Collection New York (USA), Kampnagel Hamburg (Germany), The Morgan Library New York (USA), Reykjavik Art Museum (Iceland), Albertina Vienna (Austria), Museum of Fine Arts Ghent (Belgium), Des Moines Art Center (USA), Hubben Uppsala Science Park Uppsala (Sweden), Konsthalle Gothenburg (Sweden) a.o.
Grzymala was visiting professor at University of Arts HBK Braunschweig Germany (2012–2013) and University of Applied Arts Vienna Austria (2013–2014), she gave lectures at Chicago Institute of Art (USA), MoMA New York (USA), Sotheby’s Institute of Art New York (USA), Rhode Island School of Design Providence (USA) a.o.
In 2012 and 2016 the monographs „11-works 2000–2011“ and „Drawing Spatially - Raumzeichnung“ were published at Hatje Cantz Germany.
Selected lectures, artist talks and academic work:
1. Raumzeichnung - Drawing Spacially Rhode Island School of Design, Providence RI /USA, 2018.
2. Raumzeichnung - Drawing Spacially Des Moines Art Center, Des Moines Iowa / USA, 2017.
3. Line in conversation with Victoria Haven The Drawing Room, London / UK (23.01.2016)
4. Drawind Spacially lecture and talk Sotheby's Institute of Art, New York City / USA (16.11.2015)
5. The Making of Forming Something New lecture and artist talk Reykjavik Art Museum, Reykjavik / Iceland, 2015.
6. Drawind Spacially lecture and talk with Dr. Ivana Wingham, Fabrica Brighton /UK, 2014.
7. PLATFORM exhibition and performance with students of University of Applied Arts, Künstlerhaus, Vienna / Austria, 2014.
8. Raumzeichnung lecture and talk Eva Hesse / Gego exhibition Galerie der Gegenwart Kunsthalle Hamburg / Germany, 2014
9. Raumzeichnung lecture and guest professorship, University of Applied Arts, Vienna / Austria, 2013
10. Drawind Spacially lecture and workshop, École nationale supérieure d'art, Nice / France, 2013.