Universität der Künste Berlin
PI: Spatial Design in the Digital Age
Enrique Sobejano is Professor for Principles of Architectural Design at the Universität der Künste Berlin. He is a practicing architect whose research focuses on combinatorial logic, creative processes, digital modeling and architectural geometry. Sobejano studied architecture at the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid and Columbia University. He is founding partner of the influential architectural practice NIETO SOBEJANO ARQUITECTOS whose build work can be found across Spain, Germany, Austria, Estonia and the UK. The architectural office has received numerous international awards including the Gold Medal of Merit in the Fine Arts (Spain), FAIA Honorary Fellowship American Institute of Architects (USA), Alvar Aalto Medal (Finland), European Museum of the Year Award, Piranesi Prix de Rome, Aga Khan Award for Architecture (Switzerland), Nike Prize Bund Deutscher Architekten (Germany) and the National Prize Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Heritage from the Ministry of Culture (Spain). Sobejano’s architecture exhibitions have also been presented in world leading venues such as MOMA (New York), the Venice Biennale of Architecture, Roca Gallery London and the Kunsthaus Graz. He is a member of the Colegio Oficial de Arquitectos de Madrid, the Association of German Architects, and the Academy of Arts, Berlin.
a) Solo Exhibitions
1. Sobejano, E. Tabula – The Arvo Pärt Centre in Estonia. Aedes Gallery. Berlin, Germany, 2017.
2. Sobejano, E. The Window and the Mirror. Museum of Estonian Architecture, Tallinn, Estonia, 2015.
3. Sobejano, E. Nieto Sobejano Arquitectos. MAST Bologna, Italy, 2014.
4. Sobejano, E. Memory and Invention. Architekturgalerie München, Germany, 2013.
5. Sobejano, E. Arquitectura Concreta. Kunsthaus Graz, Austria, 2008.
b) Group Exhibitions
6. Sobejano, E. Biennale di Archittetura Venezia. Venice, Italy, 2012. (also in 2000, 2002, 2006)
7. Sobejano, E. On Site. New Architecture in Spain. Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), New York, USA, 2006.
c) Texts (Selection):
8. Sobejano, E. NS Fuensanta Nieto Enrique Sobejano Architetture. Milan: Electa Architecttura, 2014.
9. Sobejano, E. Nieto Sobejano. Memory and Invention. Ostfildern: Hatje Cantz Verlag, 2013
10. Sobejano, E. “Combinatorial Architecture.” In Computational Design Modeling, 55-61. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer, 2011.