Technische Universität Berlin
PI: Spatial Design in the Digital Age
Stefan Weinzierl is Professor for Audio Communication and head of the Audio Communication Group at Technische Universität Berlin. He is an internationally recognized expert in the field of room acoustics, virtual acoustic reality (binaural technology and sound field synthesis), audio technology, auditory perception, and musical acoustics. Weinzierl studied physics and music production at Universität Erlangen, Technische Universität Berlin and the Universität der Künste Berlin. He undertook further studies in musicology at the University of California at Berkeley. He holds a PhD in musical acoustics from Technische Universität Berlin and works as a room acoustics consultant. Weinzierl has also been a freelance producer and sound engineer for Deutsche Grammophon, Teldec Classics, Bayerischer Rundfunk, Südwestfunk, and Radio Svizzera Italiana. He has received numerous research grants for projects from the German Research Council (DFG), EU Horizon 2020 program and Einstein Foundation. He is currently the coordinator of the Hybrid Plattform, and oversees cooperative projects between the Universität der Künste Berlin and Technische Universität Berlin.
1. Brinkmann, F., Roden, R., Lindau, A. and S. Weinzierl. “Audibility and interpolation of head-above-torso orientation in binaural technology.” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing 15, no. 9 (2015): 931-942.
2. Schaerer-Kalkandjiev, Z. and S. Weinzierl. “The Influence of Room Acoustics on Solo Music Performance: An Experimental Study.” Psychomusicology: Music, Mind & Brain 25, no. 3 (2015): 195-207.
3. Weinzierl, S. and M. Vorländer. “Room Acoustical Parameters as Predictors of Room Acoustical Impression: What Do We Know and What Would We Like to Know?” Acoustics Australia 43, no. 1 (2015): 41-48.
4. Weinzierl, S., Sanvito, P., Schultz, F. and C. Büttner. “The Acoustics of Renaissance Theatres in Italy.” Acta Acustica united with Acustica 101 (2015): 632-641.
5. Lindau, A., Erbes, V., Lepa, S., Maempel, H. J., Brinkmann, F. and S. Weinzierl. “A Spatial Audio Quality Inventory (SAQI).” Acta Acustica united with Acustica 100 (2014): 984-994.
6. Brinkmann, F., Lindau, A., Weinzierl, S. “On the authenticity of individual dynamic binaural synthesis.” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 142 (2017): 1784-1795.
7. Schaerer-Kalkandjiev, Z. and S. Weinzierl. “The Influence of Room Acoustics on Solo Music Performance: An Empirical Case Study.” Acta Acustica united with Acustica 98 (2013): 433-441.
8. Lindau, A. and S. Weinzierl. “Assessing the plausibility of virtual acoustic environments.” Acta Acustica united with Acustica 98 (2012): 804-810.
9. Weinzierl, S., ed. Handbuch der Audiotechnik. Berlin: Springer Verlag, 2008.
10. Supper, M. and S. Weinzierl, eds. Sound in Space – Space in Sound. Proceedings of the 5th Sound and Music Computing Conference (SMC ‘08). Berlin: German Association of Electroacoustic Music, 2008.